Friday, April 1, 2016

Visiting Edinburgh's Universities


I began my day today with a colloquim at Edinburgh University, King's Buildings Campus, in the James Clerk Maxwell building.  While searching their site over the last few months I found this colloquium in a series titled GAMES: General Audience Maths Edinburgh Seminar.

Cool!  A math talk for a general audience!



I felt drawn to attend a talk at Edinburgh University since so many of the luminary mathematicians and mathematical physicists that I am studying spent time as professors here or as students here, so it just seemed cool to me to be there taking in a lecture.

The topic, which hadn't been announced until very recently, was "The Asymptotics of the Gamma Function Via Resurgence."

Yeah - bit of a stretch, that -

Here are a couple of slides from the talk, and I'll put the abstract at the bottom of this post for those who are interested.



Clearly when they advertise a presentation for a general audience it is quite different from what I mean when I give a presentation for a general audience!!

After the seminar I headed to Edinburgh Napier University, Merchiston Campus to see what remains of John Napier's castle home which the college is built around.


I'm including quite a number of pictures of Napier Tower, as for a long time this was the single thing that was bringing me to Edinburgh to seek out the history of mathematics - fascinating man, Napier, but more on him in another post.



from the back


detail of the top of the building - I love the door in the tower
Then I took another swing past Edinburgh University's main campus and also another past Edinburgh University's New College (which is on "The Mound" very close to Edinburgh Castle).

EU Main Campus

EU Main Campus

EU New College

EU New College

EU New College
OK, before posting the abstract of the talk I attended this morning I am going to post some of the flowers blooming on The King's Building campus - spring in Edinburgh.



Abstract: This talk will be about the divergent asymptotic expansion of the gamma function. The divergence of this asymptotic expansion is caused by the singularities of its Borel transform. We exploit these singularities to obtain explicit formulae for the coefficients and remainder term of the asymptotic expansion of the gamma function. These formulae then will be used to obtain realistic error bounds for the asymptotics of the gamma function. All related concepts will be explained during the talk.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Heidi!! I am having so much fun reading about your adventures and learning about people in the history of maths (Ha!). I've missed seeing you this semester, but am happy you are able to share this hiatus. P.S. I will be sharing the info you found about Voldemort with my daughter. She'll be stoked! -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Michelle! A few days back I traveled through London and arrived on platform 9 in King's Cross Station. I did keep my eyes open for a brick barrier between 9 and 10, but there just is no such thing (at least not now - maybe she saw something like that in years past). There was, however, a display in the side wall nearby with a half-trolley jammed into a wall where you can get your picture taken. They have really long scarves available, and someone will hold it out behind you to make it look like you're running. The queue to have a picture taken there is the longest queue for anything that I've seen during my travels!

      Delete