Friday, April 1, 2016

Technical Difficulties

For some reason there are issues posting pictures to my blog - so for the moment I'm just going to list today's activities and hope to start getting more images up soon!  I still need to provide an answer about Maclaurin and Voldemort!  It's only day 4, and I'm falling behind!

 - figured out the bus system (a first for me!), and my feet were very, very happy with me after all the walking I did the last few days!

 - went to University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Campus for a maths (as they say here) colloquium - it was for a "general audience" and was on "The Asymptotics of the Gamma Function via Resurgence" - oh yeah baby!

 - headed to Napier University Edinburgh, Merchiston Campus to see the tower that remains of Napier's castle

 - headed to George Heriot school (which I'm learning by keeping my ears open may have been the inspiration for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry)

 - walked past Greyfriar's again and on to The Elephant House Restaurant (aka the birthplace of Harry Potter, as JK Rowling did her early writing here overlooking Greyfriar's Kirkyard and Edinburgh Castle)

 - decided to have lunch at The Elephant House - sat in the backroom where Rowling did her writing
 - Perused Alexander Nasmyth landscapes in the National Gallery (he taught painting to future mathematician Mary Somerville, and it was from him that she learned of Euclid's Elements and the impact on perspective)

 - headed to St. Cuthbert's Church were mathematician John Napier worshiped and served as an elder (yet another huge kirkyard in which I was trying to find a single stone - need to check, but I'm thinking he was memorialized inside the kirk, which was closed when I got there - actual burial at St. Giles', I believe)

 - sought out and found the birthplace of mathematical physicist James Clerk Maxwell at 14 India Street

 - found the Royal Society of Edinburgh (founded by mathematician Colin Maclaurin) at 22-24 George Street

 - serendipitously found a statue of JCM at the end of George Street as I wound my way back towards my hotel  (and the talk this morning was held in the James Clerk Maxwell Building of the university, so it's been a JCM kind of day :-)

PICTURES SOON, I HOPE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment