Monday, May 9, 2016

Halle Hello!

For now just a note that I've arrived at my final European destination, Halle (Saale).

I am very grateful that the train trip was far easier and less eventful than the last!

Tomorrow I meet with an emeritus mathematics professor from Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, and I get to see sights related to my FAVORITE mathematician, Georg Cantor - who proved that infinity comes in different sizes!

The person I'm meeting with tomorrow is a serious Cantor enthusiast and will be showing me his home, his classroom, his grave, and the "nervenklinik" where he spent time during his periods of depression and where he passed away.  I'm sure I will gain a lot of insight into Cantor's life through our conversation as well.

I feel bad that I haven't completed my last two posts yet, but I think as I'm winding down I'm kind of wearing down also.  We'll see what this destination holds.  I hope to do more blogging here and more paper and pen journaling as well.  It has the potential to be a less full couple of days, but the person I'm meeting with knows of my passion for the pipe organ has suggested a day trip to Leipzig, where J. S. Bach lived and worked  .  .  .  and then there's Wittenberg so close by, what with the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation next year and all  .  .  .

It's likely that I won't have opportunity to travel to Europe again, so I am leaning more towards doing those things than not.  This is my chance!  (But part of me kinda sorta wants to rest up a bit and catch up a bit.  We'll see which part of me wins out!)

Either way I think this will be a good end to a great trip!  Thanks for following along!


No comments:

Post a Comment